Workers compensation FAQ

At Logan & Jolly, L.L.P., we are experienced worker's compensation attorneys who work hard to pursue the medical care and benefits our clients deserve. Our firm receives many calls from people who were injured on the job, and who have serious concerns about their healthcare and their rights.

Some basic information about workers' compensation appears below. You probably have additional questions relating to your case. In a free consultation, a lawyer at Logan & Jolly, L.L.P. can answer these questions and discuss what we can do to help you seek benefits and medical treatment.

What is a work-related injury?

A work-related injury is any injury you suffered while performing your job duties. These injuries include falls, crushing injuries, occupational diseases, repetitive stress injuries and injuries from accidents in a company vehicle or your own vehicle used in performing your job duties.

Should I file my own workers' compensation claim?

Yes, you should report the injury to your employer and file a claim. You should also speak with a workers' compensation lawyer as soon as possible. Without representation, you may not be pursuing all the benefits and medical care possible for your situation.

For a free consultation, contact our firm.

My employer has sent me to a particular doctor. Can I be seen by another physician?

Yes — and this is often advisable. The doctor selected by your employer may minimize the extent of your injury and the medical care and services you need to recover to the fullest extent possible. Our firm can help you get a second medical opinion from another doctor that truly reflects the nature and extent of your injury.

Can I sue my employer for damages?

No you cannot. The workers' compensation system will pay benefits for your medical costs, rehabilitation therapy, lost wages and any permanent disability. However, if your accident was caused by a third party such as a contractor or vehicle driver not employed by your company, you have what is known as a third-party claim. This can provide compensation for your pain, suffering and other non-economic damages in addition to the above benefits.

What if I have a pre-existing condition?

Let's say you had a prior back injury, and you suffered another back injury while on the job. The prior condition in itself is not a bar to obtaining workers' compensation benefits. However, your employer's workers' compensation insurance provider may try to use the prior condition to limit your benefits or deny your claim.

Logan & Jolly, L.L.P. will work hard to help you get all of the medical care, rehabilitation services and benefits you deserve.

Free Consultation — Call Today

For a free initial consultation with Logan & Jolly, L.L.P., contact our firm. From our offices in Anderson, we represent clients throughout Upstate South Carolina. Call toll free at 888-337-0955.